Thursday, January 20, 2011

Funk Week

  I go through weeks like this every now and again - I call it the funk.  I get discouraged and don't even want to run, can come up with any excuse to NOT run, and find no joy in running.  This is that week.  One time, my funk week turned into about 8 months.  Not kidding.  I was in an 8 month running funk.  It came right after my first 1/2 marathon that I had rigidly trained for from scratch (see first picture, this was during that time).  I built my base from nothing, did the speedwork, the tempo runs, the long runs, the cross training, and I met my goal of a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon... barely (2nd picture with my brother right before the 1/2).  But I had some serious Post Race Blues and didn't snap out of it for a long while.  I almost had to start completely over - 4 mile runs became difficult.  I had to find the joy in just running rather than just training.
  The good news for me is that I have races already scheduled for the next few months, and friends to do long runs with on Saturdays - keeps me motivated even through the funkiness.  Do you ever go through funks?  It doesn't have to be running, it can be anything.  Work funk, school funk, healthy eating funk, weather funk, life funk?  The key for me is having a goal to keep me motivated, and then finding the joy again in what I'm doing.  Have you found your key to getting through the funk?  Care to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment