Tuesday, March 29, 2011

1/2 Marathon

Ok, this is the deal.  I did not want to run the morning of the race.  It was FREEZING cold and suppose to rain, though it didn't.  It was cloudy and there was a 10 mph wind.  The course was out and back.  I was putting on my timing sensor tag and when I bent down I did something to my knee and thought there was no way I could run.  It hurt for the next hour before the race and I wasn't sure I would make it.  I have never wanted to not run a race so badly!!  I was afraid I would start it and then have to stop.  So I started a little slowly with some friends running their first 1/2 marathon.  I felt ok so I picked up the pace.  Someone had told me that I needed to run a faster first 1/2 of the course because it was an out and back course, and the way back would be directly into the wind. He was right.  When I turned around during mile 7 it was crazy windy right in my face.  So much so I now have wind burn on my face!  But I felt good while I was out there.  The last two miles my legs were seizing up, IT Band issues and also the cold... but I made it almost the exact same time as my last one.  If I can train the next 3 weeks, I am going to try to go all out at the Nashville 1/2 and PR even though it's totally a hilly course.  Now I have a serious cold that I'm fighting... not sure if it's from the race or my 6 year old's soccer game in the rain that afternoon.  But it's brutal. I may live though.


Splits:
Mile 1:  8:56  ran the first mile with some friends running their first 1/2
Mile 2:  8:39
Mile 3:  8:42
Mile 4:  8:29
Mile 5:  8:30
Mile 6:  8:18 woo hoo!
Mile 7:  8:23  the turn around
Mile 8:  9:13  why...is...it...so...windy???
Mile 9:  8:46
Mile 10: 9:09
Mile 11: 8:54
Mile 12: 9:06  I'm not going to make it.... my IT Bands are killing me!
Mile 13: 8:49
.11        : 0:46

Time 1:54:46 = 8:45 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, Kassie!!! Way to prevail despite some cruddy weather and a knee scare. I've totally been there, sista! Powering through days like that, just like you did, will make you all the more strong! Do you have a foam roller? If not, you should... Roll those IT bands, especially at your hip. It'll change your IT band life forever. Since I've gotten mine, I don't think I've missed a day of running BECAUSE of my IT band pain. They're not perfect, but they're not stopping me! Congrats on a great run.. BTW, it's good to have your cold NOW. Get it all in now and you'll be peaking with health and running at Nash!

    ReplyDelete